Friday, September 7, 2012

light source / shading


 For this piece, the assignment was to use light source as a technique for practicing shading. I think my final piece came out well, but it took a bit of practice. We started off using pencil to shade on shapes and choosing a corner where the imaginary light source was coming from. After practicing with that, we tried blending different oil pastel colors, then put it into action. In this project I learned how to accurately draw shadows behind shapes and how you have to shade with the shape instead of against it, so it really gets that 3D effect we're going for. If I could do this project over again, I would try to utilize more colors and try using colors that don't necessarily blend together on the spectrum then see if I can do some nice shading with that. Overall, I enjoyed creating this piece and am anxious to use oil pastels again and do some shading with other mediums.

1 comment: